Monday, February 25, 2013

A Father's Lament while finding Comfort

As a parent I want the best for my children. I often feel inadequate and even embarrassed at times because when I look at what I offer my children, it never seems to measure up. Becoming a Doctor, Lawyer, Computer Genius, Professional Athlete, Musician, or even a College Professor, have been some of the hopes and dreams that I’ve had for my kids. I continually tell them that Education is the foundation and the key to their dreams and their future as well. I fight with them, bully them, antagonize them, stress over them, and I honestly believe that I’m doing whatever it takes to beat down their resistance and move them in the direction of success. I’m their parent, I know better, and when they’re adults and can look back on all of this, they’ll realize that I was right and thank me for it. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry because I have been so wrong. I know now that yes, it is good to be stern and push them to be productive and not to be idle. I know that I need to counsel them, encourage them, support them, and cheer for them. However, it is not for me to decide for them. Whatever they do in life will be their choice. I may worry now that they may never be able to care for themselves when I am gone, but what parent doesn’t. What I do know is that even if they struggle throughout their lives in whatever capacity, the best foundation that I can help them build during this young impressionable time  is to have faith in God, love their family, surround themselves with good friends and be a kind, loving, caring, giving, and honest person. I may be their father on earth, but how necessary it is for me to bow down and recognize the will of their Father in Heaven. Even He will not impose his will on his children but instead He has provided the way in which for me to raise my children in righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment