Monday, March 4, 2013

Frickin’ Haole!


haole. nvs. White person, American, Englishman, Caucasian; formerly, any foreigner; foreign, introduced, of foreign origin, as plants, pigs, chickens; entirely white, of pigs. (Hawaiian-English Dictionary; Pukui & Elbert)

Hawaii is known as the “Melting Pot of the Pacific.” Its citizens are made up of people of many different cultures, races and ethnic origins. Most of today’s younger generation are a mixture of 3 or more different ethnic groups. Most of these keiki (children) of Hawaii would have to go back anywhere from 3-5 generations to identify an ancestor of any one pure ethnicity. Of these many mixed blooded descendants, most of them are proud of their Hawaiian Roots. To some, these roots mean to say of Native Hawaiian Ancestry. To others it simply means to say, “Local.” Citizens of the state of Hawaii call themselves “Local,” if they were born and/or raised in Hawaii. Some separate themselves saying that the true locals are those whose parents were also born and raised in Hawaii. The more generations you go back, the more local you are. Others have defined being local if a person has acquired the local style culture, pidgin English, taste for local food, and a sense of location in the islands.

From all of this what I want to now point out is when you trace one particular people back to the time of European Explorations, the first Christian Missionaries, the original Plantation owners, The Big Five (look it up), or those who came to surf with “The Duke,” ” da’ haole,” has an identity all of its own.  Please understand, Polynesians were the first identified race of people to inhabit the Hawaiian Islands. The second group of people, as far as we know, were the haole. Long before the Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, other Pacific Islanders, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, etc., the haole was there advising the Ali’i (Hawaiian Chiefs) and all of the members of the last monarchy starting with Kamehameha the Great himself. Next to the native Hawaiians, if there’s anyone that would be considered more local, shouldn’t it be the haole? So what is that unique haole quality that has set them apart from all of the other ethnic groups that has followed them into paradise, making Hawaii their home?

Let’s take another look at the word itself, haole. Foreign introduced, of foreign origin, with the key word being foreign. It seems that among all of the immigrants that braved the newly charted Pacific, only one maintained their distance from everything that was Hawaiian. Even though interracial marriages eventually became common with all immigrants, the haole was the most resistant to blend into the island culture. Honestly that’s not totally true, other nationalities like the Japanese were very proud and made a great effort to make their stay in Hawaii as close to their lifestyle back in Japan as they possibly could. Japanese immigrants worked hard to pass on their culture, values, language, and religion to their children, but it seems like it didn’t take too many generations before the Hawaii born Japanese offspring chose to go their own direction.

So back to the haole, was it their fair skin? It seems like, to the many people of color, that the blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair complexion has always been envied and sought after. However, I still believe that it’s more than just that. Ever since Captain James Cook, back in latter part of the 18th Century was mistaken as a God by some of the island natives, that haole mannerism has been perpetuated in some form and to some degree. Call it arrogance if you will. To me it’s that undeniable conquering spirit, that self proclaimed manifest destiny. The haole has always carried themselves in such a way that either you love them or you hate them. That is so true, even among themselves. To me, their adventurous spirit really means that they’re just opportunists that can’t stand being around their own kind. So they run away, but when they come across other peoples of strange cultures, they immediately claim discovery, exploit their natural resources and subject them to their own way of life. Not much has changed to date as you ask yourself what’s the real difference between acquisition and colonization?
To wrap this up, don’t be a hater. Even if the haole doesn’t do a good job of fitting in, even if he marries your sister, but won’t let you borrow his car, that doesn’t mean he’s a bad person. Many of us know plenty of haole that in their own haole way are awesome people. The haole has done so much good for the world giving us all of the wonderful conveniences we enjoy today. Even if they didn’t invent it themselves, they managed to acquire it from the person who did, take credit for it and reap the financial rewards. Too good, huh? We can learn so much from our haole brothers, sisters, and ancestors (if you have some). So when you find yourself frustrated, angry, broken, or just plain humiliated because of something done by a haole, the best thing to do is try and see the good in it. Forgive and try to understand them because remember, they can’t help it, they’re haole.

5 comments:

  1. 'They marry your sister but won't let you borrow their car?" That sums it up for me! My daughter currently has this mistaken idea that I'm "prejudiced" whenever I call a caucasian person, "haole". What she doesn't fully realize is that while it might have negative connotations in some parties, it is the word for people of this ethnicity ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i and therefore 'pono' to refer to them in that way. I don't say it with a demeaning intent - 'haole' are 'haole' and when they ACT 'haole', they're just 'haole'.
    I think they get a bad rap in Hawaii because of their complete disdain for things in Hawaii. I've heard them complain about the cost of living, complain about it being 'too hot', complain about the bugs, complain that it's 'too small'.....complain, complain. They fail to see the BEAUTY and the GIFT that surrounds them - and because they cannot 'see' or 'feel', well, they miss out. "Ha-ole" means to 'be without breath, the necessity of life". And to me, that is true. Those who complain and neglect to see the abundance of beauty around them, through nature and through a humble, grateful, simple people - - well, they ARE without.
    Mahalo for your perspective. You always make me smile, even amongst the 'touchier' subjects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaKanak, mahalo again. We all really need to make a better effort to understand one another.

      Delete
  2. Best definition of haole ever: "he marries your sister, but won’t let you borrow his car".

    As haole, though i claim "local" roots and do have Hawaiian blood, this definition of what haole is, I must say, runs deep inside me.

    I may have even offended you at times with my haole, lol. I hope I haven't.

    But maybe it's being in the islands so little that I have a more-difficult time sharing than my local friends.

    Maybe it's the struggles against what I feel is this world's relentless pull toward poverty that I feel like I've faced in my life (or a recurring nightmare that one moment from now, all the comfort of life will all be gone) but I have a keen sense about "my stuff" and, I have become aware that a significant challenge I face in my life is that "I don't like things being taken from me."

    When that happens, or the sensation of it happens, my neck tenses, my shoulders tighten, and I feel a release of adrenaline to my system. It's fight time, and I need to protect what's mine.

    And, I think, I have had much taken from me that anyone would say I should have retained even at risk of violence.

    And, I think, I have given much more than what many haole would consider right or good or just.

    I guess the haole has won out in the balance, perhaps, and a part of me mourns the loss of the footloose freedom I seemed to enjoy when I did live on the islands and terrorized the North Shore, slept on the floor at my auntie's house, enjoyed eating loco-mocos and L&Ls and played in the surf every single moment I possibly could.

    Especially last time I was there, in Hawaii, and the Hawaiian artist selling his work on the beach I would talk with tried and tried to see the Hawaiian in me... and just never could. I was the haole staying in the hotel. To him, I was as local as any other tourist on the island that day.

    (I still like the artwork I bought from him, though, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries braddah Rob. No offense intended, no offense taken. Your Kamehameha Schools alumni Tutu taught me a very important lesson while she was still with us. It's not your fault that Hawaii has gone through the changes that it has in regards to being Hawaiian. She grew up in an era when being Hawaiian was looked down upon, speaking the language was against the law and not striving to learn the haole ways would put you at a disadvantage. Your mother married a haole and he's a wonderful man who fell in love with a Hawaiian girl and her Pacific island home. During his short time in Hawaii, he made great friendships and has done a lot of good for Pacific Islanders in his giving and loving ways. Your dad has always been the exception to the norm making his in-laws honored and proud to have him as part of the Ohana. Now just because he took you back to his aina hanau (land of his birthh)in Indiana and raised you there, that's not your fault either, he did it to help your grandparents there. If you want to learn more about your Hawaiian roots, you always have that priviledge. As long as you conduct yourself in manner in which you were raised, you one Kanaka Maoli through in through.

      Delete
  3. interesting brada kory... where you guys went disappear to? you guys went back to da continent?

    ReplyDelete